FAIRMONT, W.Va. -- Fairmont State will wrap up its three-game road swing on Saturday, Sept. 15, at Bowie State. Fans can listen to the game on 93.1 WFGM, 920 AM WMMN, or online at fightingfalcons.com. Live stats will be provided by the Bowie State athletic website (bsubulldogs.com).
Fairmont State is coming off a 41-21 loss at Glenville State. The Pioneers scored 34 first half points and rolled up over 500 yards of total offense in the win over the Falcons. Bowie State improved to 2-0 on the young season with a 28-14 win over Benedict College in front of a nationally televised audience.
The two teams have met just twice before in school history with Fairmont State winning both matchups, including a 49-20 win last year in Fairmont. Daniel Monroe had 144 yards rushing and two touchdowns last year against the Bulldogs, and Matt Wilmer had four catches for 86 yards and a score. FSU out-scored BSU 28-0 in the second quarter to take command of the game.
Scouting Bowie State
• Bowie State’s rushing attack is led by Keith Brown with 21 carries for 156 yards and three touchdowns. Corwin Acker also has 124 yards and a score through the first two weeks of the season. Brown and Acker tallied over 120 yards each in last week’s victory over Benedict.
• Quarterback Jared Johnston (16-for-33 with 274 yards and three touchdowns in week one against Assumption) was injured early in the game last week and was replaced by Tyrae Reid. Reid went 11-for-20 with 110 yards against Benedict.
• Douglas McNeil has been the main target at receiver with nine catches for 165 yards and a pair of touchdowns through the first two weeks of the season. Douglas accounted for 144 yards on seven catches and both of his touchdowns in the week one victory over Assumption.
• Linebackers Bekwele Amadi (14) and Antoine Young (13) have led the Bowie State defense in tackles this season.
• The Bowie State defense has just three sacks and has only forced one turnover this season.
• Bowie State is ranked in the top 15 in the country in both total defense (12th) and pass defense (15th). The Bulldogs are allowing just 222 yards per game and only 125.5 through the air this season.
• Head coach Damon Wilson is in his fourth season at Bowie State, he has a record of 18-15 with the Bulldogs.
Glenville State Postgame Notes
• Matt Wilmer’s 100-yard kick return for a touchdown was the first of his career. It was technically a 102-yard kick return, but NCAA statisical guidelines mandate the maximum yardage on any play is 100 yards. Jerome Hoes had a 101-kickoff return for Fairmont State in 1978, but the NAIA guidelines allowed for plays to be longer than 100 yards at that time.
• It was the first kickoff return for a touchdown for Fairmont State since Zack Page accomplished it in 2009 against WV State.
• Freshman Shad Alexander led FSU in rushing with 10 carries for 53 yards. Daniel Monroe was held to under 100 yards rushing for the second-straight game.
• Chris St. Hilaire’s touchdown reception was his first of the season and the seventh of his career.
• Bobby Vega’s two touchdown passes were the first of his career at Fairmont State.
• Mark Sampson’s touchdown catch was his first this season and fifth of his career.
• GSC running back Rahmann Lee became just the second player in 13 games (dating back to last season) to rush for over 100 yards against Fairmont State.
• The Pioneers had seven offensive plays go for 20 yards or more, including four of its touchdowns.
• Freshman linebacker Trevor Malnick turned in a good performance for FSU with nine tackles, including two for a loss.
Complete Game Notes: