FAIRMONT, W.Va. -- After three-straight road games to open the season, Fairmont State returns to the friendly confines of Duvall-Rosier Field to take on West Liberty this Saturday at 1 p.m.
Fans can watch the game live, in high-definition, via the GameCenter powered by the Fairmont State Alumni Association on fightingfalcons.com. Fans can also listen to the game live on 93.1 WFGM or 920 AM WMMN.
Fairmont State is coming off a tough 24-17 overtime loss at the hands of Bowie State last week. The Falcons squandered a 17-point fourth quarter lead as the Bulldogs managed the victory in overtime. West Liberty won its WVIAC opener last week against West Virginia Welseyan, 33-16. Quarterback L.D. Crow tossed TD passes to three different receivers to lead the Hilltoppers to the victory.
Fairmont State owns a narrow 38-36-5 lead in the all-time series. Fairmont State won last year’s meeting, 41-12, to end a six-game losing streak against West Liberty in the series.
Bowie State Postgame Notes
• Johnny Dearstine’s 22-yard field goal was the first of his career.
• Ryland Newman’s 57-yard blocked field goal return for a touchdown was the sixth touchdown of his career without ever having played a down on offense. Newman has three interception returns for a touchdown and two punt returns for a touchdown to go with his blocked field goal return.
• Running back Daniel Monroe cracked the 100-yard mark for the first time this season with 112 yards on the ground against Bowie State. It was the seventh game of 100+ yards in his career.
• Collin Alford’s touchdown reception was the first touchdown of his career.
• Bobby Vega’s touchdown pass was his third this season.
• Mark Sampson’s 87 receiving yards were a career high.
• Middle linebacker Garrett Davis made his season debut against Bowie State. He returned to make nine total tackles (seven solo) and recorded one tackle for a loss.
• Fairmont State blocked two field goals against Bowie State. C.J. Goodwin got his first block of the year while Scott Davidson’s block was his second this season.
• FSU recorded its first two sacks of the season against the Bulldogs. Daniel Strosnider recorded one and Andre Revere got the other.
• Fairmont State lost for just the third time when leading after three quarters under head coach Mike Lopez. Lopez slipped to 0-4 in overtime as a head coach.
Scouting West Liberty
• Kenjay Trueblood leads West Liberty’s rushing attack with 171 yards through the first three weeks of the season. Isiah Moody saw his first action of the season against WV Wesleyan and accounted for 80 yards on 19 carries and a score.
• L.D. Crow has completed 44-of-77 passes for 462 yards on the season. Crow has thrown four touchdowns passes and has just two interceptions.
• West Liberty’s Bo Whitney is tied for 17th in the country averaging 7.33 receptions per game.
• Brandon Schroeder has caught a pair of touchdown receptions this season.
• Safety Marco Ricchetti leads the Hilltopper defense with 22 tackles and an interception. Ricchetti has also recovered a fumble this season.
• West Liberty leads the WVIAC by allowing opponents to convert on only 23 percent of their third down opportunities.
• The Hilltoppers are averaging 26 points per game against FSU under head coach Roger Waialae, while giving up just 17 per game.
• The West Liberty defense is ranked second in the WVIAC in both total defense (271.7) and rushing defense (70.7). The Hilltoppers are also best in the conference in pass efficiency defense (108.6).
• The Hilltoppers also lead the conference in fewest penalty yards per game (28.3) and most time of possession (32:56).
Complete Game Notes